- 1 The Best Longboard For Pumping – A Useful List!
- 1.1 Longboard For Pumping Buying Guide
- 1.2 What Is Longboard Pumping?
- 1.3 Longboard Pumping Technique
- 1.4 A List Of Four Best Longboard For Pumping
- 1.5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 1.6 The Final Thought
The Best Longboard For Pumping – A Useful List!
If you are a frequent longboard rider, longboarding pumping is sure to be a household name! This seems to be the most favorite and widely welcomed approach to most longboard riders, as not only is longboarding pumping an appealing form of art, but it also saves riders from continuously making long stretches.
However, choosing a quality longboard with beautiful pumping features is not a piece of pie, so what should you purchase? The solution is in our article on the best longboard for pumping here!
- DROP-THROUGH CARVING MACHINE – The Loaded Dervish Sama is a performance longboard created for carving, pumping, freestyle, freeride, and urban commuting / alternative transportation.
- FUNCTIONAL DESIGN – Drop-through truck mounting for stability and easier pushing. Large cutouts maximize wheel clearance for deep carves and tight turns. Nose and tail kicks open the door for dancing and freestyle trickery and help navigate city streets. Cambered profile and mild concave create a responsive yet comfortable platform for carve-oriented longboarding. Snowboard-inspired construction combines vertically laminated bamboo and fiberglass for a durable, lightweight, and lively ride.
- HIGH-PERFORMANCE FLEX – Bamboo and fiberglass provide lively and energetic flex perfect for hard carving and pumping. Available in three flex ratings to tailor the ride to your weight and style. Lower flex is ideal for heavier and/or more aggressive riders; higher flex is recommended for lighter riders or those looking for a more responsive board.
- PARIS TRUCKS – Paris 180mm, 50° matte black longboard trucks deliver smooth and controlled turning response that's perfect for carving, freestyle, and freeride.
- ORANGATANG WHEELS – Orangatang 75mm, 80a In Heats provide optimal roll speed, grip, and smoothness. Includes Loaded Jehu V2 bearings.
- Suitable for All-Skaters: Made of Exotic Brazilian Rosewood Deck and Canadian Maple Core, 38" Long x 9.75" Wide. Custom pinstripe design with beautiful finish. Ideal for Beginners, Intermediate or Advanced riders, who embrace the Skating lifestyle.
- Comfortable Kick: The Samurai's combination of a Drop Down Deck and Drop Through Trucks and Laser Cut Grip Tape makes for a great low rider. It has a low center of gravity for maximum stability and makes pushing effortless.
- High-Speed Smooth Ride: Enjoy a smooth ride handling all your adventures with quick and durable precision ABEC-9 Hellion 2 Bearings with built in spacers, that is ideal for fast runs and quick turns.
- Stable, Strong & Sturdy: Enhance your gliding with rugged & lightweight 180mm Aluminium Alloy Trucks and Durable Hooligan Wheels, 70 x 53mm combined with the special core, makes the wheel responsive and lively.
- Designed by Skaters for Skaters: This Longboard skateboard is the perfect gift for family and friends. It comes fully assembled ready to ride, all you have to do is ride the wave, enjoy and have fun.
- ZED LONGBOARD: Our freshest longboard nods to the 1950’s makeshift backyard longboards with its classic surfboard shape and feel. ZED not only carries us here and there, but transports us back to a time of sun, surf, salty air, breezy days, dewy nights, and reverb-doused hits of yesteryear.
- ANTI-BITE TECHNOLOGY: Avoid wheel bite at all costs. In fact, put it in the back of your mind. We put ease-of-ride #1 by including wheel wells to eliminate grab. Durable 70x51mm 85A PU wheels with rock finish.
- HIGH-SPEED & ACCURATE: Precision ball bearings in the ABEC-7 tolerance grade is ideal for high speed and extreme running accuracy, capable of handling all of your adventures.
- SLICK & GRIP: Enhance your ride with smooth and shock absorbent 70 mm Polyurethane wheels, plus a rock finish for superior grip.
- STABLE BUILD: 44-Inch artisan longboard made from 8-ply Canadian maple and sustainably sourced bamboo forms an infallible hybrid of strength and pliability in ZED's deck construction. It comes fully assembled and ready to ride, all you have to do is get going.
- VERSATILE CARVING MACHINE – The Loaded Icarus is a performance longboard created for snowboard-style carving, pumping, freeride, freestyle, and urban commuting / alternative transportation.
- UTILITARIAN DESIGN – Drop-through truck mounting for stability and easier pushing. Cambered profile and variable edge concave create a lively and precise riding experience. Cutouts combine with flared wheel wells to maximize clearance for big wheels and allow deep carves and tight turns. Minimal nose and tail kicks help navigate city streets and open the door for freestyle trickery.
- STRONG, LIGHT, & DAMP – Snowboard-inspired composite construction combines vertically laminated bamboo and fiberglass for a durable, lightweight, and lively ride. Cork bottom layer provides vibration damping.
- PARIS TRUCKS – Paris 180mm, 50° matte black longboard trucks deliver smooth and controlled turning response that's perfect for hard carving and all-around riding.
- ORANGATANG WHEELS – Choice of Orangatang 80mm Kegels for unmatched roll speed, grip, and smoothness or Orangatang 75mm Durians for just the right balance of grip and slide for a more freeride-friendly setup. Includes Loaded Jehu V2 bearings.
Longboard For Pumping Buying Guide
The most crucial thing you should consider is the board setup, including the deck, trucks, bearings, flex, and wheels to buy a suitable longboard. So how to choose a board based on those criteria? Keep reading the following notes:
The deck is one of the most important parts of a board; the longer the deck is, the wider the turn becomes. Therefore, if you are still green about pumping, it would be better to choose a short deck for practice. On the other hand, if you want to have a trickier and more impressive performance with narrow turns, a longer one would satisfy your desire.
For a new and inexperienced rider, trucks with a higher front turning angle and loose wiring with soft bushing are ideal choices, as they enable you to handle each movement more conveniently and easily.
By contrast, a speed freak is likely to choose a truck with a solid net of connection and harsh bushings, as this truck allows a high-performance ride.
No matter how expensive your bearings are, remember to keep them cleaned and lubed, and they are sure to meet your needs. Friction and dirty bearings will cause you trouble, though.
As higher flex may damage the board, we highly recommend you settle for a fiberglass or bamboo flex to get better balance and control. Moreover, these materials can ensure you an endurable longboard, and be a big help to your pumping.
The wheels’ size depends on the size of your deck; however, wheels with around 60 mm patches are recommended. Stability is undoubtedly the most crucial factor in pumping; therefore, these 60 mm patches are soft, grippy and provide a wide contact to give you enough balance in each move.
you can find the best longboard wheels for rough roads in this post
What Is Longboard Pumping?
Longboard pumping is considered the latest skating sub-type, popular among ocean surfers for a long time. This riding style requires riders to propel their weight and shift it from side to side.
In this way, the riders are likely to accelerate their speed and move in zig-zag paths, reducing the need for stepping off. Moreover, as the board remains firmly on the ground, you will likely get swift moves and maintain high balance.
Longboarding pumping is increasingly popular thanks to its wide range of benefits. Besides reducing the need for pushing and long stretches, pumping is also a wonderful method for practicing and strengthening your muscles.
Longboard Pumping Technique
The pumping movement
The pumping movement can be described as an S turn motion, from your chest and core, then lower body to the board, truck, and finally the wheels. This performance is pretty exhausting and requires a lot of experience and balance. Moreover, it may cause fatigue and exhaustion if done for a long time.
Upper body and middle section
The power during pumping is generated from your midsection, particularly the muscle below the abs, backing your back motions, while the roll of your hips helps you speed up and add more momentum to your ride.
Legs and feet
Your legs and feet should catch up with your midsection by keeping your lower body chasing after the upper one. Remember to keep your front foot behind the truck to generate more energy.
Weighting and unweighting
This aspect of effective pumping can also be named compression and decompression. While the weighting requires you to put more weight on the board more than your actual weight by getting and pushing low, the unweighting means that you should catch yourself and push back upwards.
How does weighting/unweighting when pumping speed you up?
If you intend to get the accrued speed, all you need is to push your board towards and unpush it from the ground, with the grippy wheels generating an opposing force.
Distance pumping requires your upper body and hips to make subtle, narrow, yet effective movements so that you can control your effort and save energy.
To exploit distance pumping successfully, riders have to alternate and diversify their pumping turns, both narrow and wide, broad and intense continuously. In this way, riders can avoid fatigue or injuries due to long-term movement repetition.
A List Of Four Best Longboard For Pumping
Here are four recommended longboards for pumping that you can refer if you intend to buy one:
#1. Loaded Boards Dervish Sama – Best Overall
Loaded Boards Dervish Sama Bamboo Longboard
- Product specifications: 48” long x 12” wide x 10” deep
- Item weight: 3.31 pounds
- Size: Flex 3, 75 – 150 lbs
- Color: orangatang in heat
- Material: wood
The Loaded Dervish Sama is a versatile longboard, which can be used for different playing styles, namely pumping, carving, freestyle, and even urban commuting. That’s why this longboard becomes widespread, and gains love from most riders.
Besides its versatility, the Dervish Sama also shows an attractive design with a drop-through truck, large cutouts, cambered profile, and mild concave.
These features enable riders to maintain a high level of balance, make pushes, turns, and grips with ease, and navigate the city street so that you can have a comfortable riding experience without worrying about road accidents.
Moreover, another extraordinary feature this longboard boasts is the snowboard-inspired construction and the high-quality material. The sturdy construction, together with laminated bamboo and fiberglass, ensures you a durable and lightweight board.
Those materials also provide riders with a range of high-performance flexes, suitable for a specific playing style. If you are an aggressive rider, the lower flex is ideal, while higher flex is ideal for lighter riders.
The wheels also contribute significantly to the aesthetic aspect of this longboard, as they are smooth and flexible enough to provide you with great grip and a high roll speed.
However, after long-term use, the grip tape and stickers on the board may be easily torn and faded. Thankfully, this problem does nothing with this high quality longboard..
- Easy to ride and highly flexible
- Comes with bearing spacers and shock pads
- Well-made and beautifully designed
- There may be some aesthetic imperfections.
#2. FLOW Surf skates surf skateboard with carving truck – Best For Design
FLOW Surf Skates
- Product specifications: 83.82 cm long, 25.4 cm wide, 12.7 cm deep
- Item weight: 3.7 kg
- Size: 33”
- Color: black
- Material: wood
This FLOW surf skateboard will certainly give a good first impression with its classic design. Inspired by a surf shape, the longboard is a traditional single kick cruiser, showing a wide standing platform. This feature allows you to have a comfortable stance and avoid leverages on the rail.
This unique design also utilizes an internal spring, and so we can say with confidence that it can mirror the feeling of riding a surfboard, providing you with smooth pumping and fluid carving. It creates a special experience on the sidewalks and streets, which should have only appeared on the sea.
More importantly, the longboard is designed with a customizable ride, enabling riders to adjust or switch the truck spring tension so that it is suited to your level and preference. Just tighten or loosen the truck spring, and the board is sure to live up to your expectations!
Nevertheless, what a pity that the FLOW doesn’t come with high-quality rubbers. The rubbers are made from plastic, ensuring smooth and swift moves, yet failing to withstand intense rides and heavy weight.
- Great for introductory surf skaters or surf trainers
- Easy to learn and take up
- Smooth custom ride
- Doesn’t come with high-quality rubbers
#3. Sector 9 Aperture Sidewinder – Best For Both Pros and Novice Users
Sector 9 Aperture Sidewinder
- Product specifications: 30” long, 9” wide, 26.375” deep
- Item weight: 6.9 pounds
- Size: 36”
- Color: multicolor
- Material: wood
As the Aperture Sidewinder is brought to you by the renowned Sector 9 brand, you can expect all exceptional features from it. The longboard shows a 36-inch deck, shorter than the standard yet suitable for both beginners and professionals. It would be easier and swifter for you to make a turn or pump with this deck.
seemore: 10 beginner longboard choices
The ABEC 5 bearings are so excellent in quality that they ensure you a high level of stability and balance, protecting you from unwanted fallings on the road – see why it suits the beginners? And these bearings also make the board more durable, thus being able withstand the test of time.
If you want something trickier than the common standard, the Aperture Sidewinder is a wonderful choice, as the wheels are 69 mm, smaller, and more challenging to turn. This feature, combined with the drop-through truck, enables you to turn more quickly and more responsively.
One thing about this longboard that may let you down is its price. With such beautiful features and impressive performances, the Aperture Sidewinder comes at such a high price that not all riders can afford.
- Best suited for beginners
- Value for money
- Durable and well-designer
- Weak keyhole cutout
#4. SwellTech SurfSkate – Best For Practice
- Product specifications: wheelbase: 20”, deck length: 33”, tail width: 7.5”
- Item weight: 11 lbs
- Size: 33 inches
- Color: black
- Material: wood
The last longboard we want to introduce you today is the SwellTech Surfskate, designed to mimic a surfboard’s movement on the sea and allow you to sharpen your skills before the next swell hits.
The sturdy and strong front truck is free motion, enabling riders to make turns and gain speed more easily and smoothly, while the trunk on the rear is designed to act as a balancing point like a fin, providing riders with a high level of stability. With this as your sidekick, it will not take long until you notice some improvements in your ability.
Plus, the Austin Keen Pro initially attracts buyers’ attention thanks to its compact and portable design, small and lightweight enough for you to carry with ease, yet big and strong enough to withstand your weight.
- Suitable for newcomers to longboarding pumping
- Has a sturdy truck system
- Shows smooth rides and shifts
- Nothing bad should be noted.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the differences between longboarding pumping and longboarding carving?
Pumping and carving are two popular alternative riding styles, especially favorite among long-term longboard riders. The main difference between those two styles are their performances and purposes.
On the one hand, the longboarding pumping is employed to propel yourself on a longboard, make swift and smooth shifts from the left to the right to raise the speed and pick up inertia. That’s why riders often take up this riding style on flat surfaces to reduce the need for long stretches.
More interestingly, although pumping is not a new concept in longboarding, it has long been employed by other board sports like ocean surfing, in which riders need a high speed.
By contrast, carving is not such an intensive and propulsion-oriented playing style; thus, it doesn’t gain speed. Instead, riders use it to reduce their speed so that they can avoid sudden accidents on dangerous roads.
2. What should you keep in mind when longboarding pumping?
As pumping can help you pick up speed, there are some precautions and tips that you should know to avoid accidents at such a high speed. First and foremost, if you are a newcomer to longboarding pumping, a loosen truck with a high turning angle is an ideal choice to learn the basics, while you will have to put more effort and skills to ride on rigid trucks.
We highly recommend you to ride on a soft and even area during the first practicing days to reduce the chance of falling, before practicing on a harsher and rougher surface.
Besides, foot movement and body position is key to mastering longboarding pumping; therefore, don’t forget to check your posture and make sure you have the right position.
The Final Thought
Long story short, we bet that after flicking through our best longboard for pumping, you have already decided which one is best suited to your skills and demands. Longboarding pumping is such an interesting and skillful sub-type of skating that most longboard riders desire to master.
If you find pushing and making long stretches tiring and laborious, why not give pumping a try? With a high-quality longboard and some practice, you stand a chance of grasping the secrets of pumping and take your friends by surprise through each movement and turn.
Therefore, start practicing longboard pumping and see the wonderful results right now.